Monday, February 6, 2012

Tabbouleh Recipe

Tabbouleh (تبولة; also tabouleh or tab(b)ouli) is a Mediterranean-style salad that I tried it for the first time at a Lebanese restaurant in Ontario with Mike's family. I loved it so much that as soon as we got home I tried to figure out how to make it for myself...especially since I'm always looking for ways to use up the abundance of parsley from my little herb garden.  I have noticed that several recipes online call for cracked wheat and mint added to it as well, but this is my own rendition of the salad based on how we like it (and I'm pretty sure the one at the restaurant did not have cracked wheat in it).

It is extremely easy to make and is very healthy. Since I am not Lebanese, I don't know how authentic it really is but we sure enjoy it this way! It is best when eaten fresh; is great with pita chips, naan bread or pitas; and we usually add some hummus on the side. Think of it like salsa, Mediterranean style!


TABBOULEH RECIPE
1 - 1 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1/2 onion, chopped fine
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, pealed and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste

Toss together parsley, onion, tomatoes, cucumber.
Add olive oil, lemon juice and salt to taste and toss together with vegetable mix. 

*There is a lot of give with all these ingredients. I just usually chop veggies, dump dressing ingredients, taste and then adjust to what I think it needs more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment